On Wed, May 09, 2012 at 11:03:50AM -0400, Jakob Heitz wrote:
> You mean for the case when a router does "treat as withdraw" for
> routes in an errored update message, but does not bring down
> the session, to deprefer the rest of the routes from that peer.
>
> Right?

Correct.

The topic this thread was covering was "what do we do when we receive a very
large number of faulty updates".  If a session gets a few bad updates, it's
reasonable to expect that a few "bad routes" got into the Internet's table.
If we get a very large number, it may be safer to assume that something is
very broken upstream.

When we've decided the upstream is broken enough, for some threshold of
broken, two reasonable actions are:
- Bring down the peering session.
- Exercise "graceful shutdown" on that session to permit its routes to be
  used as a path of last resort.  In this case, we perhaps do not take the
  session down.

The faulty routes are always handled according to the error-handling draft
semantics.

-- Jeff