Wolfgang Tremmel wrote:
> just reading your draft, a few remarks, speaking as a private internet
> citizen:
>
> "If a route server client announces a prefix tagged with both the
>   NO_EXPORT and NO_EXPORT_VIA_RS communities to a route server, the
>   route server MUST ignore the NO_EXPORT community,"
>
> --> that means that NO_EXPORT_VIA_RS is "stronger" then NO_EXPORT and
> actually changes the meaning of NO_EXPORT.
>
> I know that users make stupid mistakes and this should perhaps cover
> the mistake of setting both, but IMHO with NO_EXPORT being much older
> and really well understood and used, I think NO_EXPORT should take
> precedence.
>
> (IMHO NO_EXPORT should be interpreted, and never passed through,
> independent of a router or a route server is used)

According to rfc7947, it is a matter of local policy whether NO_EXPORT
is interpreted or passed through.  This has always been the case in the
IXP world: some IXP route servers interpret NO_EXPORT and some pass it
through. So it's not correct to say that the behaviour of NO_EXPORT is
well-understood when it comes to route servers - this topic has been the
subject of a good deal of debate in the IXP community over the years,
with no resolution.

The approach we're taking with NO_EXPORT_VIA_RS is to effectively say:
"we recommend not using NO_EXPORT because you don't know what it's going
to do.  However, if you choose to use it in combination with
NO_EXPORT_VIA_RS, it's clear what your intention is, and the lack of
ambiguity with NO_EXPORT_VIA_RS when announced to a RS means that it
should override NO_EXPORT, in this and only this situation".

> My first idea when reading this was why not make it general, why
> limit the community to route servers and not have a "SET_NO_EXPORT"
> community which directs the next hop AS to set NO_EXPORT?

> ( I already sent this email to Nick and his answer that its limited
> to RS because otherwise some kind of TTL needs to be implemented
> makes sense)

Limiting the community to route servers is necessary because otherwise
you'd need to implement a bgp-path TTL in order to limit the radius of
interpretation.  I don't think you could safely use the as-path for
determining how far the prefix should propagate.  Also there would be
other problems with prefix distribution which would be hard to solve,
e.g. what would happen in situations where an ASN's routing kit wasn't
updated to interpret this correctly?  The prefix would be propagated
across asn boundaries according to standard policy, but the NO_EXPORT
interpretation might hit a couple of ASNs away, in an unexpected place.
 I don't see how it would be possible to stop this from happening.

At least if there is a requirement that this is only interpreted on
route servers and then religiously deleted on export, the scope for
creating problems is a good deal smaller.

Nick