Hello,

> On 10. Oct 2017, at 05:46, Job Snijders <j...@instituut.net> wrote:
>
> Have you considered just updating RFC 7947 to resolve the described ambiguity
> by stating that a route server SHOULD pass the NO_EXPORT community unaltered,
> rather than interpret it or block it?

From my reading of RFC1997 and RFC7947 the ambiguity is not really one:

RFC1997 states that any community-aware BGP speaker MUT NOT advertise prefixes
received with NO_EXPORT
--> a route server is a BGP speaker
--> it is community aware

RFC7947 uses wording SHOULD NOT and MAY which IMHO are weaker.

> Why is there no consensus amongst route server operators on what the correct
> behavior is? Can you provide a citation?

all that aside, DE-CIX already has all that functionality using our own
communities (we actually have two, one for adding NO_EXPORT and one for adding
NO_ADVERTISE, and also allow selective adding using Large Communities):
https://www.de-cix.net/en/locations/united-states/dallas/routeserver-guide

best regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Tremmel

Phone +49 69 1730902 26 | Fax +49 69 4056 2716 | Mobile +49 171 8600 816 |
wolfgang.trem...@de-cix.net
Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa | Registergericht AG Köln HRB 51135
DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystrasse 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main | Germany