Hi nick,

Have you considered just updating RFC 7947 to resolve the described
ambiguity by stating that a route server SHOULD pass the NO_EXPORT
community unaltered, rather than interpret it or block it?

The advance of this approach would be that a portion of deployed route
servers are already compliant, as where using a new NO_EXPORT_VIA_RS
community would require every route server to be updated.

>From the route server client perspective it may also be simpler if there is
just one “no export function” community instead of multiple.

Why is there no consensus amongst route server operators on what the
correct behavior is? Can you provide a citation?

Kind regards,

Job