Hi Axel,

Axel Simon <axel.si...@in.tum.de> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> the repo at code.haskell.org now contains a cabal version of Gtk2Hs,
> well, at least of the core packages glib, cairo, pango and gtk. In the
> future the package gio should be part of this set as well. All other
> add-on libraries, however, are likely to move into their own darcs
> repositories.
That's mean we need move all packages (except glib, cairo, pango, gio
gtk) to it's own repository?

Example, i need create a new repository http://code.haskell.org/vte/
after i finish cabalized convert?

> During this transitional period it is not possible to
> build the other libraries but I encourage people to get the new cabal
> version using
>
> darcs get code.haskell.org:/srv/code/gtk2hs
Above command need password, should use below command:
darcs get --partial http://code.haskell.org/gtk2hs/ --old

> and to add cabal files to the any of these add-on libraries. Notes on
> that below ("Creating a cabal file for a Gtk2Hs add-on library").
I'm working on `vte`, `webkit` and `sourceview2`, i haven't test code for
other packages, can you convert other packages?

And we should drop
   `gtk2hs/gtk/Graphics/UI/Gtk/TreeList`
and
   `gtk2hs/sourceview`.
Above two packages is departed, haven't any reason to maintain them.

> Observe that updating your current darcs repo of the previous version
> of Gtk2Hs is not possible since I had to obliterate several patches in
> order to merge changes. Furthermore, there are quite a few patches in
> the previous repository that added a lot of new functions but which
> need further review. These patches have been merged into the new cabal
> version but for now remain in a separate repository which can be
> accessed at http://www2.in.tum.de/~simona/gtk2hs-2.18 .
I will correct those patches after i finish convert job.
BTW, i recommend we release next version after we finish Gtk+ 2.20 binding.

And i'm waiting Ubuntu-10.04 release (April-29), then i can test Gtk+ 2.20,
before
that, i will try to fix all bugs in Gtk+ 2.18.3

> Building
> --------
>
> The Gtk2Hs libraries need additional build tools. These live in tools/
> and can be configured and installed in the usual Cabal way. The three
> tools have awkward names starting with gtk2hs and are thus not likely
> to clash with other programs. If you install as --user, then you need
> to add ~/.cabal/bin to your path. (I've filed a bug that cabal should
> look in it's own /bin directory for build
> utilities. http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/663
>   )
>
> When configuring the gtk package, the cabal file will look for Gtk+
> 2.20 which you most likely don't have. You need to specify -f-gtk_2_20
> for Gtk+ 2.18 and -f-gtk_2_20 -f-gtk_2_18 for Gtk+ 2.16 and so on. (I
> have filed a feature request that Cabal should be able to infer the
> best possible choice of flags for pkg-config
> requirements. http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/662
>   )
>
> When compiling the Setup.hs program, you will see a warning that the
> Cabal version is guessed. If compilation succeeds, this warning can be
> ignored. (Cabal should really define CPP macros with it's version when
> it builds Setup.hs, see http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/326
>   )
Excellent, installation is damn fast, i just need 5 minutes to build
gtk2hs. :)

We should add `bootstrap.sh` similar with cabal-install's?
Then gtk2hs user just need *one* command to install all core packages,  and
don't need
install those packages one by one.

Cheers,

  -- Andy