So many questions...

----------
> From: Gil Hillman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: ABS again
> Date: Sunday, November 21, 1999 10:06 PM
>
> So far my ABS is probably OK, but I ride carefully and don't lock the
> wheels, so I don't really test the ABS.

You can test it with a simple jumper wire in a plug in the tail.

>       1. ignore it, ride without ABS

You might be doing that now!!

>       2. pay the price to repair it (what does it cost?)

$1700 US + labor I think

>       3. seal it off (I've heard of this, but how is it done?)

Don't need to--works fine as regular brakes when Hydraulic Unit is on the
fritz (broken)

>       4. wait for Yamaha to recall it (bet no one can hold their breath that
> long)

no comment (mine was replaced under warranty--I don't have a bitch about
that)

>       5. rebuild it (sounds difficult, and as if Yamaha mechanics can't do it)

You'd be lucky to find a "Yamaha mechanic"-- most just work for a dealer
that sells Yamaha's--you can take a wild guess as to why Yamaha might be a
little trepidatious about these guys rebuilding a tort lawyer's dream
system...  Learn to test it--practice using it, and if it fails--give
rebuilding it a shot--what have you got to lose if you know how the system
feels when it is working?

> I wonder if members of the list have tried these (mainly 1-3). Are we
sure
> that if we repair it and then change the fluid regularly the problem
won't
> happen again?

I'd say so, but I think I saw a recommendation to change the hoses every 3
years also.  It's late but I'll look for it tomorrow.  Mine were probably 4
years old when I bought it new, as was the fluid (which I thought had been
changed!)--I believe this is what caused the failure in mine.  SS hoses
(teflon, really, I think) might be a little more impervious but we are
probably looking at custom stuff or German import (most of which is
non-D.O.T., FWIW)

>Can the ABS be sealed off, making a Euro-style non-ABS bike
> that performs as it should? Do we know the cost of these alternatives, in

> repair bills and in resale value?

I was looking for ABS when I found the GTS...  Guess I got lucky!

>If mine failed I think I'd prefer to say
> goodbye to the ABS (# 3) rather than have a prolonged hassle with it: the

> brakes are terrific, used as regular bike brakes.
>
> Gil H.

Just my $.02 Gil, hope this helps refine your choices some,
Kevin from Florida, where humidity rules!