Just a note.......after thoroughly rebuilding the ABS, Terry Baker had
concluded that the problem is corrosion. Corrosion due to moisture content
in the brake fluid. I truly believe that if you exercise the ABS every once
and a while and change the brake fluid every year with Valvoline Synthetic
DOT 4 that your system should stay trouble free for years. It has on mine.
Get SpeedBleeders!  Every once in a while get the bike up to 20 MPH and
stomp on the rear brake engaging the ABS (make sure you are on a level
surface). At every oil change, invoke the ABS diagnostics several times to
exercise the system. That being said.....your system might still fail! :^)
But seriously, yes the system is high maintenance, yes this is unacceptable,
yes I believe the Yamaha should be forced to replace those units that have
failed. However, when judiciously maintained and working properly this ABS
system is one of the best on ANY motorcycle. Good luck guys! I truly feel
badly for those who have failing units.

Kevin Hawkins // Greensboro, NC
AMA #609423  // [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.geocities.com/~raddboy
Y2K Kawasaki ZRX1100 // '93 Yamaha GTS1000