Because I brought the analysis to the table, I said that it was the foundation of my example, and you're taking the lazy way out by not arguing on the points and positions.

Nope. It's quite as reasonable for me to run you around and waste your time--or rather, act as an e-list troll--and insist that unless you write little essays on the books that I assign YOU to read that you are taking the "easy way out," as for you to try that game on me. I've been a publishing professional, I've dealt with copyright professionally for over 23 years, and in my brother, I have a lawyer to consult close at hand. I don't need to "prove myself" to you.

So, my first assignment for YOU is for YOU to go buy Richard Stim's _Getting Permissions: How to License & Clear Copyrighted Materials Online & Off._ It's readily available on the Nolo Press website, on Amazon.com, and probably in libraries. It contains an extensive discussion of this issue. I'm also assigning you to read Stephen Fishman's _The Copyright Handbook_ and his _The Public Domain: How to Find & Use Copyright-Free Writings, Music, Art & More_, available from the same sources. I need a a 5 to- 10 page, double-spaced essay on fair use of materials in nonprofit educational settings, based on these three works, which I expect you to have read thoroughly and objectively. It's due on Sunday.

Unless you prove yourself to me in this fashion, you're taking the "easy way out." After all, I'm setting the rules of the game.

Enjoy!

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com