On 07/04/12 14:13, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
On 7 April 2012 13:19, Bryn Jones<hants...@http-420.co.uk>  wrote:
Hi all,

I'm bouncing round London and having done some work for a charity while I'm
here I have an idea to sort out something out for them.

They have a windoze network (without domain just workgroup) with (now) about
12 windoze 7 (oh god it was painful installing those!!!) client machines,
acting as standalone workstations.

I'd like to implement a domain type infrastructure for them..... but of
course without Windoze SBS (barf). Mainly for authentication - Sit at any
machine on LAN and log in as yourself, get your stuff.

I have some ideas but they're not great!!! (all my others are awesome of
course).

Thoughts?, suggestions?, general derision?, want to look at my cute dog?.

There are several aspects to using a Windows Domain.
1) Centrally storing files makes backup easier.
2) Single Sign on. Able to walk up to any PC and log in with their own
username/password.
3) Group Policy. Able to enforce access restrictions on the Windows Clients.
4) Exchange Email/Scheduler.

Open Source Samba can do 1 and 2.
You will have to look elsewhere for 3. I don't know the answer for 3.
For 4, you could substitute with various web base open source
email/scheduler programs.

Kind Regards

James

1 & 2 are core. You seem to have grasped my needs. They cloud Email so thats all cool. I'll work on calendaring next :)

GPO is nil priority (too small a network to need it).

Bryn