On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 12:37:41 +0100, Ally Biggs wrote:
Idiots guide to LDAP, Samba and Getting your windows boxes to behave
with Linux. Does such a thing exist? I the problem with documentation
I have read I'm not being funny but usually it's over complicated
jargon, doesn't get to the point it's usually outdated, and samba ends up broken with each windows release so nothing works. So then you have
to start making changes to your windows boxes to get samba to work.

For Linux client auth against modern AD, using kerberos and SSSD:

http://www.wzzrd.com/2011/10/linux-in-windows-2008-active-directory.html

Works For Me (tm)with both RHEL5 and RHEL6 (and therefore probably CentOS and Scientific Linux and other RH-compatible distros. I;m sure similar technologies are available for the *buntu and debian distros, too.

Requires a working understanding of kerberos and PAM, really. Although it may just work anyway.

Here that page has a hideous colourscheme when viewed in firefox, but I am on a company windows workstation. Looks alright on the linux laptop though.

As for providing the AD Domain Controller role, well, that's harder.
Samba4 with Kerberos and an LDAP backend can do some of that (I've not tried to replicate the entire setup before now)

Oh and Ally - any chance you can do us (well, me at least) a favour and insert proper line breaks into your messages from the phone?

They are coming through as one long unbroken string, which makes them difficult to parse.

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.
"It's today!" said Piglet.