On 7 April 2012 13:19, Bryn Jones <hants...@http-420.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm bouncing round London and having done some work for a charity while I'm
> here I have an idea to sort out something out for them.
>
> They have a windoze network (without domain just workgroup) with (now) about
> 12 windoze 7 (oh god it was painful installing those!!!) client machines,
> acting as standalone workstations.
>
> I'd like to implement a domain type infrastructure for them..... but of
> course without Windoze SBS (barf). Mainly for authentication - Sit at any
> machine on LAN and log in as yourself, get your stuff.
>
> I have some ideas but they're not great!!! (all my others are awesome of
> course).
>
> Thoughts?, suggestions?, general derision?, want to look at my cute dog?.

There are several aspects to using a Windows Domain.
1) Centrally storing files makes backup easier.
2) Single Sign on. Able to walk up to any PC and log in with their own
username/password.
3) Group Policy. Able to enforce access restrictions on the Windows Clients.
4) Exchange Email/Scheduler.

Open Source Samba can do 1 and 2.
You will have to look elsewhere for 3. I don't know the answer for 3.
For 4, you could substitute with various web base open source
email/scheduler programs.

Kind Regards

James