On 21/06/12 18:32, Rob Malpass wrote:

Hi all

Slightly ot but something we all have to do at some point... I ask in all honesty - could / should any ISP have been able to do more for me in my situation?

Tonight I contacted Zen because (having only had my connection activated a couple of days ago) I returned home to find no connection. Restarting the router fixed it but, just to be sure, I checked the logs thinking it might be to do with "training mode". As it's a new router (supplied by Zen) I'm not that familiar with all of its' log "speak".

I rang tech support to find out why it had dropped the connection. I was told that:
a) they couldn't tell me why the connection had dropped

b) the logs had contained entries around the time of the drop for "Firewall rules modified" which worried me slightly. I would have thought that only I, as admin, could modify my firewall rules. When I asked him about this he said Zen didn't support the router (even though they supplied it!) and he couldn't explain what rules were modified or why.

It's probably coincidental that he sounded like a right lazy so and so but to be honest, I expect better from Zen.

I'm not that much in a huff because all is well that ends well - I have a connection - but I'm more surprised than anything. Zen are usually brilliant for customer and tech support - so don't want to see standards slipping - but similarly I don't want to hold them up to too exacting a standard.

Cheers

Rob

I have recently had a similar problem with an ADSL for work (business class), it came with a router. I got a phone call on a Sunday morning from the branch in Newbury saying line had dropped (I was home in Bournemouth), when I contacted the ISP customer support I was told that apart from resetting the circuit. They would not be able to do anything until such time as I was on site and had tested the line with a phone, changed the adsl filter and swapped the router. In regards to the router, despite supplying the router they would only support the wan side setup nothing else.

I took the matter up a few days later with the customer support manager, it would not of mattered even if I had bought one of their offered routers (Draytek and Cisco I think were offered) they would still only support basic wan side setup and nothing else. I was particularly annoyed by this as the service had been purchased as the site is remote to me and I wanted as much help from the ISP in the event of a line failure.

In regards to Zen (the above ISP is not Zen) I had a ADSL from Zen several years ago, I went with them based on the comments of there good customer service. Unfortunately the one time the line fail (again remote to me) I got the same inactions as above, Change the filter and the router first and if that is still a problem we will contact BT. Fault turned out to be a broken line coming into the building so I would of had to spend my time and money before Zen would call out BT to resolve their line fault. I moved away from Zen at the end of the contract

Tim