Adam,
you can get pretty much all of them to work in the current kernel; I keep
resurrecting my ancient standard def Freecom USB stick on various antique
machines:

http://everythingexpress.wordpress.com/2012/05/10/how-to-freecom-dvb-t-resurrected-again-pt1/

http://everythingexpress.wordpress.com/2012/05/12/how-to-freecom-dvb-t-resurrected-again-pt2/

so long as you get the right firmware:
http://everythingexpress.wordpress.com/2012/11/06/how-to-when-the-tv-tuner-firmware-is-wrong/

and VLC works a treat:
http://everythingexpress.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/how-to-watch-digital-tv-in-vlc-player-ubuntu/

but as has been pointed out, has no timer-record function.

I can see Rowridge transmitter from the end of my road and both portable
aerials inside the house get good signal without resort to a signal booster
box in all but the worst Solent weather..

If you go with a newer HD device, graphics and processor performance will
be an issue (stating the bleedin' obvious). Quad Core required for full HD
playback as I discovered when the Dual Core laptop failed to keep up with
full HD .mp4. AGP won't cut it unless it's from a gaming rig.
--
Rgds
RC

Robin Catling