On Saturday 10 Nov 2012, Anton Piatek wrote:
> I don't think you need quad core. My dual core Asus at3 ion mobo with cpu
> does hd playback (no idea of the codec) but it also has a nvidia gpu
> builtin with hardware acceleration.

I'm not buying specifically for the video, I was just thinking of buying it
for the CPU grunt. The second generation AMD APU are not too bad and they have
always had decent graphics, certainly better than Intel anyway. So it just
happens to be a quad core - or should I say it will probably be quad core, I
may end up getting an Intel, in which case it will be a dual core.

> I would always recommend hardware accelerated decoding over more cpy power
> (not sure if extra cores really  help here)

I agree, it's the GPU that makes a difference in this instance and how it's
connected to the rest of the system. My old single core AMD64 and AGP graphics
was good enough in it's day, but it's now quite sluggish and you can see HD
MP4 files from BBC iPlayer struggle on playback - even SD playback isn't
perfect.

Basically I'm thinking of getting the tuner before Christmas as they are cheap
and then sometime in the new year replacing my desktop system.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

My organ doesn't work properly and emits strange burning smells
    -- seen on Usenet