Adam,
so good when a plan comes together!

You got the HD or standard-def? How's your graphics card coping?

I'm considering upgrading the Freecom for an HD.

VLC is a bit of a faff with the manual tuning but after that works like a
charm.

Aerials are the problem wherever you are with these USB devices; such low
power. The supplied aerials (length of wire with a bit of coat hanger on
the end) mostly useless. A mains powered booster box might help you
standard indoor aerial; I've a 5ft spear aerial and a ring aerial in the
loft, less than that I don't bother.

--
Rgds
RC