On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 11:42 +0000, Full Circle Podcast wrote:

> Aerials are the problem wherever you are with these USB devices; such
> low power. The supplied aerials (length of wire with a bit of coat
> hanger on the end) mostly useless. A mains powered booster box might
> help you standard indoor aerial; I've a 5ft spear aerial and a ring
> aerial in the loft, less than that I don't bother.

Adam's actually pretty close to Hannington in a good direction so should
get pretty reasonable signal even with the bit of bent that's usually
supplied.

I agree entirely that most of us need a proper aerial.

FWIW, though, I personally would always prefer a better aerial to adding
an amplifier. If the signal is poor, amplifying it will just give you a
'louder' poor signal, but, as there is no perfect amplifier, it will
also risk increasing the interference from other signals.

FYI for others here in Basingstoke, although we're a similar distance
from Hannington, that mast has a deliberate power notch in our
direction, to reduce the risk of it interfering with signals somewhere
over Guildford way, so despite being line-of-sight the mast, we still
need decent aerials.

ATB,
     Gordon.