Here's another solution (and think about this)  The ATI AIW is still a
software-encoding system.  So, it takes high CPU.

I had this card on my dual 3.06 Xeon for a year, and it only pulled 12 percent CPU when recording at it's highest level. I eventually moved thtat 9600 AIW over to a P4 3.0 for a short while. I can tell you from experience with your AIW 9600 PRO on a P4 3.0 that it will use under 50 percent CPU when recording DVD quality video. I think it is only about 35 to 40 percent on a P4 3.0.

My USB2 Hauppauge pulls 40 percent CPU on a P4 3.4 2meg cache Prescott, and it is quite a bit more CPU intensive then the AIWs.

   Get a card that does
true hardware compression (like an ATI Theater 550 based card, or whatever)
as a separate PCI input.  Then, you'll get DVD-standardized MPEG captures
which will make outputting easy and put very minimal processor load, no
matter what you are running.

:)

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com