Tharin,
I am trying to configure both a router and my personal network of 6 (7) devices. 7 if I count the router; which I do. Does that combination have a bearing on this?

After 7 years, I was trying to stretch/play a little bit because this is my 2d go-around with high-speed. Perhaps I went too far. I tried to use the 3rd quartile/block of the IP address to define a "server" and a "client PC." It did not work at all. "Servers" could talk to/see "servers but not clients. "Clients" could talkto/see "clients" but not "servers". Yes, I was trying to use the 3rd quartile/block of the IP address to differentiate "servers" and "clients." Well, no matter.....

OK, I may now back up and re-implement my old plan of using a Class A network IP address scheme, but use a sub-net mask of 255.255.255.0. This scheme served me well for the last 7 years. You did answer my question and confirmed I did have a grasp about the "sub-net mask" control.

I chose the Class C scheme due to comment here on the list. It just does not work with my chosen IP address series, but now I know that my chosen IP address series may be 'out of bounds.' I will play some more tonight. I will get it to work. More play in process..........
Thank you.  Best/Most Crisp answer so far....... :)
Best,
Duncan