resending another email that bounced.. did hardwaregroup.com go down yesterday?

  I'm not certain because I've never tested it, but I think on the LAN side you
must use a subnet that would be confined to a single Class C network when using
a  consumer router. Using 255.255.0.0 as a subnet mask would actually be
subnetted as a Class B network since only the first two octets would be the
network portion. It could be that a router would let you enter this type of
subnet on the LAN configuration but would not function as expected.

Nice choice on the router btw; I own the very same unit. I wanted a router with
a gigabit switch and tests on Tom's Hardware showed that it could support a
high speed WAN connection as well as many active sessions, thus making it P2P
file-sharing friendly. My previous router would spontaneously reboot if I had
too many active connections due to Kademlia. It simply wasn't powerful enough
to handle the load. Anyway.. back to the subnets..

I think the only valid choices for a subnet mask when using these kinds of
routers would be one that restricts you to functioning under a single Class C
network. (when I say Class C I mean that when looking at an IP of
AAA.BBB.CCC.xxx only hosts whose first three octets are matching, can
communicate directly) The usable subnet masks are the following....

  255.255.255.0 (1 network, 254 hosts)

  255.255.255.128 (2 networks, 126 hosts each)

  255.255.255.192 (4 networks, 62 hosts each)

  255.255.255.224 (8 networks, 30 hosts each)

  255.255.255.240 (16 networks, 14 hosts each)

  255.255.255.248 (32 networks, 6 hosts each, used with 5 ip accounts)
  255.255.255.252 (64 networks, 2 hosts each, what most ISPs assign)

If you were using a Class C address of 192.168.1.x and a subnet mask of
255.255.255.192 you would essentially be chopping up 192.168.1.x into 4
subnets. There would be a total of 64 ip addresses in each subnet but since the
first and last address of any network are reserved, there are only 62 usable
addresses for your hosts. The same logic can be seen in the other subnet masks.

I know I'm probably repeating/rephrasing some of what I already said but I
think more examples help me when trying to understand something.

-Tharin O.

DHSinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Tharin,
Thank you for the reply. The smoke clears. I want to read your reply a few more
times.