Tharin,
Can I ask for some more expansion on the below send? This may be the critical link!

At 16:02 10/29/2007 -0700, you wrote:
snip
The subnet mask will determine the range of IP addresses that will be in your local network. Your local network being the computers/devices you have direct access to send data without needing to be handled through a router.

snip
How did you need to apply this knowledge?? Are you configuring a router or small network in your home??

I was trying to have 2 subnets. Perhaps I did it wrong/badly. I have given up!
Why is the "...needing to be handled through a router...." part of this equation?
This may be my confusion....
Best,
Duncan

snip