Simple answer is that a Private Class C network with a 255.255.255.0 subnet
mask is fine for you. This would create a local network allowing up to 254
hosts (machines, computers, whatever). If my math is right, 254 is way bigger
than than 7 :)

When using this subnet you must make sure the first three quartiles are the
exact same. All hosts need to have matching IPs except for the fourth set. If
you want to make use of the entire block of 192.168.x.x then use 255.255.0.0.
(But why would you need a lan of 65 thousand addresses?)

Customarily a router/gateway is assigned an IP like 192.168.1.1 or
192.168.1.254, since 1 and 254 are the first and last IP address that can be
used in the last quartile. Your computers, slingbox, nintendo wii, voip phone,
and like can then be assigned addresses ranging from 1-253 or 2-254 depending
on which one you choose for your gateway.

Are you going to share a DSL or Cable internet connection? Do you already have
a router or were you turning a PC into a server/gateway/router?

~~ More drawn own discussion below ~~

Since computers use binary the proper term, for what you refer to as a
quartile, is actually an octet.  Binary is ugly for people to read and remember
so we write IPs in a decimal form 'aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd'

Anyway, the local network is defined by the subnet and ip that you assign.

If you use 255.255.255.0 as a subnet mask with a Class C network, then
essentially you are dividing up 192.168.x.x into 256 local networks that can
each have 254 hosts. A computer/machine/host/whatever will only be able to talk
to others that are using an IP that match the first three octets 192.168.1.x,
192.168.2.x, 192.168.3.x, etc. ('x' can be a value from 1 to 254, 0 and 255 are
reserved). A computer on 192.168.2.x can't talk to a computer on 192.168.3.x.

Data bound for an address outside the scope of your local network, such as the
internet, would have the packets sent to your router/gateway. (The gateway
should be your router. A consumer router is actually several things its a
gateway, a router, a switch, a firewall, and often times a wireless access
point.)

If you were to use a different subnet like 255.255.255.240 and it would create
a local network with 16 addresses. This would means you could have 16 subnets
on a single Class C block. 192.168.1.0-16 (LAN 1), 192.168.1.17-32 (LAN 2),
192.168.1.33-48 (LAN 3), etc. The entire 192.168.x block would be divided into
4000+ seperate networks.

A subnet of 255.255.0.0 would turn the whole 192.168 block into your local
network. Any machine with an ip in the range of 192.168.0-255.x could talk to
each other.

I hope I'm making some sense...

-Tharin O.

DHSinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Tharin,
Can I ask for some more expansion on the below send?  This may be the
critical link!

At 16:02 10/29/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>snip
>The subnet mask will determine the range of IP addresses that will be in
>your local network. Your local network being the computers/devices you
>have direct access to send data without needing to be handled through a router.
>
>snip
>How did you need to apply this knowledge?? Are you configuring a router or
>small network in your home??

I was trying to have 2 subnets. Perhaps I did it wrong/badly. I have given up!
Why is the "...needing to be handled through a router...." part of this
equation?
This may be my confusion....
Best,
Duncan