This is interesting what you say about the Windows file sharing and what not. I
always blew off any slowness/stalling when browsing the workgroup to just
another crappy bonus of Microsoft Windows. Whenever I would observe this sort
of behavior it would happen on one or two workstations but not all of them..
eventually it would seem to straighten up. I will probably do a little
experimenting the next time I'm setting up a little Windows based peer-to-peer
network.

-Tharin O.

DHSinclair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:<snip>

 I am still reading over your explanation of subnet qualification via the 4th
octet of the netmask. Think I'm going to make it into a chart for the wall!
This has been a very instructive 2.5 weeks. I am smarter now with your shares,
and the shares of j maccraw, but I am still really afraid to try the class C IP
addy series.  It just does not seem to work here. Perhaps something very subtle
on my LAN, and I have not found it in the last 8 years. And, I freely admit it
is my fault. The machines are so much "smarter" than I feel sometimes.  LOL!
 Best,