At 14:15 -0500 2007.04.04, Luke Kanies wrote:
>The correct solution is for the stupid operating system to realize
>that every stupid application stores defaults and shouldn't have to
>even think about this problem.  We're talking about a trivial api,
>even if we're dealing with opaque data -- the stupid OS should
>decide, and the apps should write to that API.

That is what Mac OS X does do.  See NSUserDefaults for Cocoa, CFPreferences
for Carbon.  Also see the "defaults" command-line app.

Now, that's primarily for the basic defaults, stuff in
Library/Preferences/, which is apparently what you are talking about.  But
it may not be good enough for the stuff Ann meant, the iTunes library data.

I still think is best put in Library/Application Support/ ... the only
justification for putting it where it goes is that you could argue the
library data belongs with the music itself, but then why does it remain
there when the music is elsewhere?  It should be under Library/ somewhere.

>And I also hate mailing lists that don't default to replying to the
>list. Sorry David. :/

I hate mailing lists that let complaints about technical aspects of the
mailing lists get through to the rest of the list.  ;)  But then again, for
this particular list, to reject such complaints would be more than a little
hypocritical.

--
Chris Nandor                      pu...@pobox.com    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Technology Group       pu...@ostg.com     http://ostg.com/