On Apr 4, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Adam Atlas wrote:

It's fine for Unix programs running on OS X to make dot directories. But for actual OS X programs, the convention is to make a subdirectory of ~/Library or ~/Library/Application Support. Following those just makes it easier to find things where one would expect.

Of course, Apple violates their own "conventions" and "guidelines" all the time. Though it's okay to not follow conventions/guidelines to the letter if it doesn't feel right in the situation, I rarely see any such justification when Apple does this.

Urgh. The best you can come up with is hating where the file is located?

I'm apparently the only person in the world who uses multiple computers, often with the same set of software on them, along with multiple platforms, also often with some cross-over in software, and who doesn't want to go through the effort of separately managing all of their configurations.

I long-ago moved to app-specific subdirectories for my configurations, because it's too annoying trying to version-control ~, so I have ~/etc (this is a good bit before OS X). I've started to put things in ~/Library into svn, but we all know how well binary files work in version control.

Amazingly, iTerm -- you know, the app that purportedly enables you to use text to interact with a computer -- uses a binary configuration file. It also seems to behave entirely arbitrarily when it comes to copying/pasting carriage returns -- sometimes you get them, sometimes you don't (sometimes within the same copy!), but I'm assuming that's a "feature" (although not one I can figure out how to disable). It also helpfully has 19 different kinds of configuration (e.g., Preferences vs Profiles), and as far as I can tell, they're stored in different configuration files. You can completely forget doing a merge of your configuration files.

I personally don't care where my configuration files are, as long as I get the same configurations on all compatible machines and I don't have to struggle to maintain that. Given my experience in managing lots of machines, I usually find it's easier to have per-application directories, rather than dotfiles, but it's not a big problem either way.

I'm still a bit amazed that an OS vendor hasn't built an abstraction layer for configurations, and then supported off-machine configuration storage (either they store them centrally, or I store them on my own server), so that I can manage all this crap without having to worry about it. You'd think they'd want to make it *easier* to own multiple computers, not harder.

Instead, everyone buys a laptop and deals with the horror of connecting and disconnecting multiple external devices all the time. I don't care what your experiences are, it drives me *insane* when all of my windows resize themselves every time I connect to an external monitor, usually according to their own arbitrary rules (e.g., iTerm's "Only Maximize Vertically" weirdness). And I actually do have some processes that need to be on the 'net all the time, so laptops just don't suffice for that.

Or, if people aren't using laptops for everything, they're moving to an all-web world just because it's annoying to manage fat-client configurations. Really. The biggest reason I can think of to use thin clients instead of fat clients is that it makes it easy to use the same configuration in multiple places (well, it makes it a bit easier to upgrade, too, but only because package managers suck). It's pretty embarrassing that this is the motivation for this huge "revolution" in user applications.

I really thought multiple computers was annoying in 1997, but I really figured there'd at least be progress on it by now.

 --
 Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad
 judgment.     --Barry LePatner