On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 09:25:42PM +0200, Ann Barcomb wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, jrod...@hate.spamportal.net wrote:
>
> >It is interesting that the freedesktop people, who are sort of becoming
> >the guardians of the free unix application conventions, are migrating
> >away from dotdirs, in a way.
> >
> >New apps are now tending to keep their config cruft under
> >~/.config/<appname>, which is a bit similar to ~/Library/blah
>
> I think I wasn't clear in my hatred.
>
> I like having all my configurations in one directory.  As someone else
> mentioned, it is easier to keep things under revision control that way.
>
> I just want said directory to be invisible to a normal 'ls'.  '.config'
> is great.  'Library' is mildly irritating (or would be, if it was the
> only required directory--as it is, with it being just one of many, it
> is hateful).

Apologies, the lack of clarity was mine.  I understand the whole "wtf is
this stupid directory doing in my home directory" thing.  It's pretty
damn awful.  I have a cronjob that rmdirs ~/Desktop for this reason.

I was just being discursionary about the "where do the config files go"
thing.  I was just leaving it ambiguous as to which way to hate it.

- This is unix, and you're hiding the config crap where I won't think to
  look for it. (For example, where did those several gigs go? oh, all
  those files I delted are hiding in ~/.local/share/Trash  How obvious)

- As apps adopt this the location of your configuration data must be
  silently moved around your personal space, there will be risks of
  being unable to downgrade.

- Why did it take 3 decades for Unix people to start correcting the
  error of the lamest namespace hack ever, when filesystems already had
  first class namespace support, ie. directories.

- Who let these freedesktop people take charge of these decisions.
  They're obviously eager to recreate long-understood mistakes.

There are probably others.

-josh