On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 05:42:05PM +0200, Ann Barcomb wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Chris Nandor wrote:
>
> >I hate dot directories; on a Mac, I consider them wrong.  But you're right
> >that it is questionable to have it where it is.  Macs have a Library
> >folder, and that is where it should be, in Library/Application
> >Support/iTunes/.
>
> >The rest of your hate I have no problem with.  But PLEASE no more dot
> >directories, unless you are a Unix app.
>
> Why do you consider it wrong to have dot directories on a Mac?
> I think BSD underneath is one of the good points of OSX, so the
> Unix way of doing things makes sense.

It is interesting that the freedesktop people, who are sort of becoming
the guardians of the free unix application conventions, are migrating
away from dotdirs, in a way.

New apps are now tending to keep their config cruft under
~/.config/<appname>, which is a bit similar to ~/Library/blah

As for which aspects of this are hateful, I leave as your various
personal decisions.

-josh