On Dec 21, 2010, at 14:38, demerphq wrote:

On 21 December 2010 22:49, Chris Nandor <pu...@pobox.com> wrote:
Yes, this is why Mac OS X is both the most popular, and the most often -- but
least successfully -- copied UI.

I find that a quite remarkable claim

I find THAT quite a remarkable claim.  I consider my claim to be wholly
UNremarkable.  Can you state YOUR sources?

In 2007, according to Apple they had 25 million OSX users.

In 2007 Microsoft claimed they would hit 1 billion installed users by June 2008.

Neither of those is any sort of an indication of popularity of the UI.  I never
said the OS was more popular, or that the platform was more popular.  I very
specifically referenced the UI, and all I know is that almost every Windows
user I've ever met says they like the Mac UI better.  And almost all those who
say they prefer Windows are either MS advocates, or have never used a Mac for
more than a few moments.

And yes, this is anecdotal evidence, but the same anecdotes are repeated over
and over again for pretty much everyone.  My experience surely is not unique,
but is most likely the norm.

Linux users do tend to prefer their own UI, in my experience, though they are a
much smaller number, so no one cares.

Given those numbers its hard to understand how anyone could claim that
Mac OSX is the most popular *anything* on the market

Given those numbers it's hard to understand how anyone could claim they could
possibly reflect popularity of the UI.

I am genuinely curious if you are aware of some kind of study that
made this conclusion.

I'm genuinely curious if the majority of Microsoft users that you know
genuinely prefer the Windows UI to the Mac UI.  I am also genuinely curious as
to why you think sales figures in any way reflect popularity of the UI.

--
Chris Nandor
pu...@pobox.com