That's actually a better guess.

Two years ago, Valve hired the talented team behind the popular top down
co-op mod Alien Swarm. Since then, they have been busy working on the Left 4
Dead Series, and now Portal 2. However, we never forgot about Alien Swarm
and the team has spent a lot of time bringing the game to Source in between
their contributions to the other Valve projects.

- ScarT