This is my understanding of the problem

An unsavoury Server Adminsitrator could in theory, whitelist certain
textures as allowable, whilst still giving the apperance of being a pure
server. When server admin or players who are aware of changes to the
whitelist know this and other players do not, then changes in textures can
be used to the advantage of 1 side and disadvantage of the other.

sv_pure 2 is the quick fix, but at this stage I have not been made aware of
the implications of sv_pure 2 + custom maps, i.e. de_season which is a very
popular league/ladder map now as well as a few others.