Do Valve host any UK servers?

I've been tossed into servers where my ping is way higher than normal just
of late.

What determines the connection?? The lobby leaders locale?

Cos each time i opt for a pub lobby, and i start seeing russian names, i
know im in for a shit pinging so i leave quick sharp.

I was never any good at geography, but russians shoudnt be classed as
european? Im not getting poitical here, just trying to understand the
connection procedure.

sv_region 3 = europe?  Then i think this should be narrowed down a little
more as im in the UK - im sure that wouldnt be too hard for the boys?

Narrowing it down a bit would certainly help UK gamers (and french, and
germans etc etc ) - ive convinced 7 friends of mine to buy this game, and
when they experience a shit server they all come after me and slap me with
rubber chickens. Its not nice.