Another possible solution is to implement functionality similar to
redirects - a user has to press a key in order to allow the MOTD window to
be displayed.

That's probably the easiest solution and doesn't harm the useful plugins
significantly if at all.

thesupremecommander (Steam<http://steamcommunity.com/id/thesupremecommander>
)
Chief Admin, SPUFserver <http://steamcommunity.com/groups/spufpowered>