I thought I might just put my 2 cents in, so please don't shoot me.

Here is what the text I received over chat:

This info was taken from
a discussion on IRC between SourceMod's Asher Baker (Asherkin) and
Valve's Tony Paloma (Druken_F00l). Asherkin posted it in a discussion
then deleted it, but not before someone quoted it.
And just to make sure
it doesn't get lost, I'm also going to quote it here too.
<Drunken_F00l>
so i think we're gonna nuke the info panel
<Drunken_F00l> or at least
the ability to send it at arbitrary times
<@asherkin> :|
<@asherkin>
why?
<Drunken_F00l> because pinion
<Drunken_F00l> or more like server
ops abusing pinion
<@asherkin> thus killing things that have existed
forever, like using it to view stats or to listen to streaming
radio
<Drunken_F00l> it sucks that it might break plugins or game modes
using it for legit reasons though
<Drunken_F00l> ya

In any case I
think what they will only stop motd after initial connect thus blocking
any abuse by server owners. However I would rather, after initial
connect, to have links opened by the steam overlay browser. This would
first fix the issue of Pinion spamming as the player could quickly exit
out and continue playing there game, not to mention this harms the said
owner that is spamming the Ad during normal game play because of the
required completions, and not being able to hold the session for 30
seconds. It would also be nicer because you could use this as a simple
way to open radio programs and such, and in new tabs. Thus no longer
will radio be quit out once you type !bp. It could also have the added
functionality of going to a common tab for similar links so if you
already had radio open, and you open radio again you won't be spammed by
two radios playing.

Just some thoughts.