It doesn't have a thing to do with players being "stupid" or "lazy", and
anyone who thinks that is simply misinformed.

There have, however, been countless studies on the "Default Effect
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Default_effect_(psychology)>" and how it
influences behavior. For example, I have absolutely no doubt that if the
settings were reversed, and all servers were included in quickplay by
default, the vast majority of players wouldn't bother to change it back.
Most players don't touch default settings, plain and simple.

In the end it will all come down to what Valve is trying to "stamp out"
with this change. Perhaps if they would have a little professional courtesy
and communicate exactly what it is/was they are trying to get rid of, there
would be those of us willing to do what we could to help.  The fact is,
they've never communicated to us what it is that they considered "bad" so
we're all guessing. I have my thoughts on the subject, most of which are
probably pretty unpopular with those that rely on ad revenue to support
their servers, but again, it's just guess work until Valve starts talking
(if, in fact, they ever choose to communicate with us again, which at this
point, I'm not very hopeful).

However, long-term PC gamers know that modifications and custom game
modes/content are what keep PC games alive in the long term - something
that has been proven time and time again with Valve's very own games. TF2
would be better served if (after 8-12 hours of experiencing "Vanilla" TF2)
players were exposed to ALL the diversity that community servers have to
offer by default, and allowed to opt out of that diversity instead of
opting in.