I'd be happy to admit that if all servers had been treated equally for he
last couple of years, but that's not the case, is it?

Everything from Valve's servers being the "default" setting (google the
"default effect" if you don't know why that gives them a huge advantage) to
the very design of the user-interface, which uses a button labeled "play
multiplayer", which has served to marginalize the server browser at best.

...but that theory would be easy to test, wouldn't it? Return all servers
(both community and Valve's servers) to the quickplay pool by default,  and
allow players to OPT OUT of being connected to a community server, instead
of the current system which forces them to go a few menus deep to opt-in.

After all, if the majority of players truly want to play on Valve's servers
only, then the proof will be in the pudding, and it won't make a
difference, right?

It's all well and good to say "this is what the players want", but unless
all the options are given equal treatment across the board, then no one can
truly say one way or the other. You have your bias against community
servers, and I tend to think random games with random people is the
absolute worst presentation of what TF2 is supposed to be....but if we're
going to have a fair test of "what the people want", then let's have a fair
test, not one where the default settings and UI design vastly favor hiding
all the diversity and options outside of Valve servers.