From: Joshua Ashton [mailto:jos...@froggi.es]
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2022, 1:22 PM
To: Alex; hlds@list.valvesoftware.com
Subject: [hlds] Mandatory Team Fortress 2 update released

On 6/24/22 12:13, Alex wrote:
On Friday, June 24th, 2022 at 6:05 AM, Joshua Ashton
<jos...@froggi.es> wrote:
The client does nothing with net_disconnect_reason.
It's an entirely server-sided convar.

A hah, I see. When I was attempting to repro, I was testing a client
sending it's disconnect message to a server, not a server forcefully
disconnecting a client and sending a disconnect message (which uses the
same message).

What ended up being fixed in the changelog was a different bug where
disconnect messages would sometimes not show in text chat due to a race
between player entity destruction and the player_disconnected event.

At least this misunderstanding led to fixing two bugs! :-)

This will be fixed in the next update, thanks!

- Joshie 🐸✨

It looks like the ConVar is used in engine code which affects how both
the
client and server process all disconnect messages. When set to 0 on a
client,
it will always override the disconnect reason with "Client Disconnect"
on the
client's end, which is unintended behavior (it's also what was happening
before this ConVar existed).

Video demonstration of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiacrieODC8

Alex K.