Just this morning ran into a post by TonyP over on the official forums that
reads as follows:

"Originally Posted by Tony Paloma View Post

This was never about item dupers. There was an exploit back in November
where you could use both trading systems at the same time to dupe an item,
but that exploit was fixed the same day it was discovered.

We're moving to the new system because it allows you to trade for items in
other games and because it contains more features in general. It also makes
the most sense going forward to have a single interface that is familiar to
everybody who is trading items on Steam rather than having TF2 have a
special interface which is limited to only TF2 items. We didn't anticipate
it being unusable for some people due to crashes and will continue to
investigate a solution for that. This may involve bringing back an option to
use the old trading interface until the overlay problems can be resolved,
but that's currently uncertain.

Please continue to provide feedback, complaints, and suggestions since they
are useful to us and influence our decisions."

Issue I've been seeing server side is - I'm losing players, I'm losing
interest in something I've built my servers around and if I didn't know any
better I've been seeing some crashing still that may or may not be related
to the servers from the recent update. This post is by far the most relevant
to server administration that I've yet to start on this mailing list to not
only vent frustration but to inform Valve that I'm likely to pull my servers
from this game and leave it all behind if old interface is not returned. The
community feedback is enormous of wanting the old trade interface returned
either like it was or an option but to leave it in place and not go back to
this nonsense even after over lay problems are resolved. This roll-back
needs to happen today, not tomorrow. I may be crossing the line just a
little with some of this not related to server administration but I do know
this is a direct channel in which many others that feel the same way that
run the same type of servers, use to funnel complaints and issues back to
Valve.

So I implore you, Valve - to please put the old trade interface back in
play, continue to enhance the steam overlay and the current larger issue
with HL2 crashing and let us enjoy what we as players and server
administrators want. Those of you that feel negative towards this email I'm
sorry, those of you that agree by all means I say reply and lets show that
we do care about this game and this company.

Thank You.