George,

this also happens on my G5 / Mac OS X 10.4.11 when I follow your
description. hugin just dies without an error message. Nasty bug.

As a suggestion this is what I do:
Usually crop values don't vary too much for each lens/camera
combination. So instead of always creating an almost same crop for new
projects I saved these values using the 'Save lens...' button in the
'Camera and Lens' tab.
After adding images to a new project I select one image in the 'Camera
and Lens' tab and load that lens description .ini file. That also sets
the crop for all images in the project that use this lens description.
I think that's a real time saver...

Carl