Tzafrir Cohen wrote on 2002-02-13 23:48 UTC:
> Why do users have to have non-ASCII characters in their usernames?
> Perhaps you can map a "international user name" to some unique username

BTW: Anyone with a passport has already an official international
spelling of their name provided in there, which uses only the ASCII
subset available in the OCR-B font used to print visa and other
travelling documents. It seems very sensible to me to restrict Unix user
identifiers and email addresses to the same subset. Use UTF-8 only in
the full names.

Markus