Edward Jaffe wrote:
Not just common sense. RFC 1855 (http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html), prepared by Responsible Use of the Network (RUN) Working Group of the IETF, contains this admonishment with respect to processing email:

<RFC 1855 Text>
In general, it's a good idea to at least check all your mail subjects before responding to a message. Sometimes a person who asks you for help (or clarification) will send another message which effectively says "Never Mind".
</RFC 1855 Text>

The above quoted section of RFC 1855 deals specifically with email. There are additional sections that apply to newsgroups (what they call "NetNews") and mailing lists such as IBM-MAIN. They contain similar admonishments and many other common sense guidelines that make sense for those engaging in public electronic discussions. There are also cross-posting guidelines.

IMO, *all* IBM-MAIN discussion participants should read this RFC. Even experienced listers might learn something...

http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html

Interesting page, Ed.

Curious as to why you linked to the version on the Delaware
Tech site instead of the official RFC site within IETF:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

Actually, I would appreciate it if more people followed
this guideline:

"Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a
line with a carriage return."

Long lines are problematic for me; a mail client may well
automatically wrap to fit screen size, but when replying,
long lines generally don't wrap and I spend a lot of time
reformatting the quoted text to make it readable without
scrolling or having wierd line breaks. But that's my
problem and I'll live with it. But it would be nice if
people gave it some thought.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques

Ask me about our new, reduced rates for purchasing our course materials
for use by your own trainers or Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).