On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:30:25 -0500, Scott Rowe <scott.r...@joann.com> wrote:

>I don't know that I would say that running QA in a different LPAR
>than DEV is "best practices", I certainly run them in the same
>LPAR here, and at nearly every site I have ever worked at.

All PCI-compliant installations
(a) Must have separate DEV/TEST/QA and PRODUCTION environments
(b) Must have Separation of Duties for the two environments
(c) Cannot give DEV/TEST access to PRODUCTION PANs

And rather than micro-manage the ACLs, it is far simpler to create another
LPAR.  Having done it once, you replicate your success in order to separate
QA from DEV/TEST.  (QA really is a different environment than DEV/TEST, IMO.)

My point is that the level of separation is, more often than not, dictated
not by the capabilities of the OS, but by
(1) regulatory considerations
(2) in-house politics (appl owner, security, turf wars, ...)
(3) system programmer convenience

>I certainly have no desire to spend time on VM if I don't need the
>functionality, I simply don't have the time.  I have worked on VM
>before, and rather like it, but if the tool doesn't fit I have no desire
>to use it.

That's the real nugget of Truth.  Do what you need to do.  Just do it with
your eyes wide open and use the right tool for the job.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM