On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 11:24:55 -0500, David Andrews wrote:

>didn't bare MVT have a horrendous core fragmentation
>issue?

Suppose that you have a 768K machine and the memory is mapped
like this (I'm making up these numbers, and I don't remember where
everything was located):

0-200K  Nucleus
200K-600K
600K-640K SQA and CSA
640K-768K LPA

All your initiators run in the area from 200K to 600K.  Suppose you
start a job that needs 110K.  It gets the area from 200K to 310K.
While that job is running, you start another job that needs 200K.
It will reside from 310K to 510K.

After the first job ends, there is a total of 200K available, but it is not
contiguous.  You can run a job that needs 110K and one that needs 90K,
but nothing larger.

At the MVT shop where I worked, we had a fixed number of initiators
that each had their assigned Job classes.  To ensure that storage
would not be fragmented, we had region size standards for each job
class, and all job classes for a particular initiator were required to use
the same region.

--
Tom Marchant