From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Ron Hawkins
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 3:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Defrag

Steve,

Why not just allocate a bigger VTOC. The argument is that the regular
shuffling of thousands of CYls into contiguous extents to save one or
two
cyls on a VTOC is valuable exercise.

I don't see it. I would give the Storage Admin help and guidance on
sizing a
VTOC, and how to reallocate a larger one.

Ron

Behalf Of

----------------------------------<snip>--------------------------------

--------------------------------<unsnip>--------------------------------
> ------
> I can't speak for Extended Format, but for non-Extended Format
datasets,

> you can only have one FORMAT-3 DSCB per dataset (Except for the
special
> case of ISAM, now long dead.)
>
> Rick
> <SNIP>
>
> Based on the doc, if an F1DSCB can only have 3 extents, and an F4DSCB
> can only have 4 extents, but a simple PS data set is limited to 16
> Extents on a volume, then we have a problem.
>
> It has been 14+ years since I've had to do DSCB handling (OBS/ACS
WYLBUR