Mark,

The OP never mentioned the VTOC. It's not his problem.

                "Each day I run a Compress, Release, and Defrag on each
volume in my SMS DASD Storage group.  Some of the volumes still remain
pretty fragmented.  Is there a way to defrag the Storage Group?"

It has already been suggested that this can be dealt with automatically
using DFSMShsm Extent Reduction which is controlled by MAXEXTENTS. It could
also be resolved manually by moving datasets off the volume.

Recovering the space in the VTOC was a digression introduced later in the
thread. If a VTOC fills you can:

1)      Run a defrag holding an exclusive reserve on the VTOC for the
duration of the Defrag. This is not guaranteed to work and may be
disruptive.
2)      Run a REFVTOC with EXTVTOC or NEWVTOC. If there is space on the
volume then this is guaranteed to work.

And if the VTOC is full and not the volume, then there's going to be free
space for the new VTOC. What case would there be for choosing option 1 over
option 2?

Ron

Behalf Of