-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Rick Fochtman
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2010 12:33 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Defrag

----------------------------------<snip>--------------------------------
------
AFAIK, you are limited to 16 extents on a volume (NON-VSAM, PDS, DAM,
etc.). If you are allowed (or can) do multi-volume, then yes, you get 16

[max] per volume for 59 volumes.

Reclaiming space in the VTOC: If I can get all my space consolidated to
just the DSCB #1, then all the other DSCBs (model 3s) become available,
giving space for more allocations in the VTOC. If I remember correctly,
there can be up to 4 Model 3 DSCBs to get you to 16 extents (for a data
set) -- (non-VSAM, PDS, DAM, PS, etc.). Otherwise, once you have used up

all the DSCBs in the VTOC, you can't allocate anything more, or even get

a secondary extent on that volume. So defragging does recover space for
a VTOC.
--------------------------------<unsnip>--------------------------------
------
I can't speak for Extended Format, but for non-Extended Format datasets,

you can only have one FORMAT-3 DSCB per dataset (Except for the special
case of ISAM, now long dead.)

Rick
<SNIP>

Based on the doc, if an F1DSCB can only have 3 extents, and an F4DSCB
can only have 4 extents, but a simple PS data set is limited to 16
Extents on a volume, then we have a problem.

It has been 14+ years since I've had to do DSCB handling (OBS/ACS WYLBUR
would try to get a PDS to a single extent...). So I don't recall the
actual layouts and only went by what IBM's doc says. And I could very
well have misread or misinterpreted DFP/DFSMS's verbiage.

But the point was recovering space in a VTOC...

Regards,
Steve Thompson