> From: "Scott T. Harder" <scott.har...@embarqmail.com>
> All I know is that many of the replies to the OP were in the "no errors at
> all... what are you talking about?" camp, and my memory as an MCO in a
> growth shop from 1987-1994 (about... until I finally made it to Technical
> Services and Storage Management for 10 months, before moving to system
> automation support until my resignation from this large telco in mid-1997)
> was that we did, indeed, receive DCK errors on 3480 media more times than I
> would like to have seen happen.  Of course, some errors were due to hardware
> problems, but we definitely had our share of true data check (media) errors.
> Subsequent posts indicate the cause to be some sort of manufacturing issue
> with BASF tapes (that I *know* we used); as well as Imation tapes (that I
> *know* we used).  So, I can only attribute our particular issues at the time
> to those problems (not knowing any better, really).
>
> My memory is not wonderful, but I do remember these occurrences.  I really
> just wanted to convey my experience, which seemed to be so contrary to what
> most other posters to the thread were saying.

Hi Scott, seeing as that your experience is different than 1% failure
rate reported most posters, I am interested in an estimate of what kinds
of error rates you saw. Were you seeing the 15-50% referenced in the
article? Or rather just something in excess of the 1% being reported?

I definitely saw many media errors, but in the scheme of the tens of
thousands of tapes being passed, it was certainly below 1%. Of course
that didn't help much when you took a tape error in the middle of a
hundred reel file, and had to explain to the programmer once again the
importance of making their two day jobs restartable.