In <of54f37709.110ca5bf-on482576f5.00045a41-482576f5.00047...@us.ibm.com>,
on 03/29/2010
   at 08:49 AM, Timothy Sipples <timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com> said:

>Perhaps a more interesting question is whether hard disks are "dead,"
>felled (or soon to be) by solid state storage. :-)

FSVO soon. I'm reminded of the conventional wisdom that thin film would
replace core. It turned out that it was easier to improve core technology,
so that semiconductor memory killed of thin film at a time when core was
still going strong. My take is that solid state memory will eventually
replace disks, but that the disk manufacturers will continue pushing the
technology to higher densities and lower prices for at least a few more
years.