I think it will be quite a while before all hard disks are gone, but it is
inevitable.
When my phone has a 16GB memory card in it and a slot for another 16GB, you
have to accept
that solid state storage is not far off.

I do see a migration from hard to solid-state, must the way we migrated from
strings of
real 3380/3390s to the emulated disk subsystems. Put stuff on different
technologies based
on performance until the high performance stuff is cheap enough to have all
through the
data center. You have a very high profile database, get a solid-state storage
system to
put the data on. Lower priority stuff gets to stay on the old hard round/brown
disks.

This migration will be faster than moving from real 3380/3390 disks to emulated
disk
subsystems.

/Tom Kern