>A long absence of power to affect refreshes of solid state storage can still
>render solid state storage unusable, while true disks don't need
refreshing to maintain the
content.

There are some shops, in the Greater Toronto Area, using them in production.

>Also, power surges and vagaries in supply voltage and/or current levels are
>less likely to affect a hard drive, even though the cirtuitry to avoid these
>vagaries is becoming more and more prevalent today.

UPS and power conditioning come to mind.
Who powers their data centre straight from the grid, these days?

>Can we all remember the STC "Solid State Disk"? And manufacturing vagaries can
>still have severe and detrimental effects on solid-state memory, whereas the
>manufacture of magnetic disks
is fairly well solidified today, except for incremental changes that affect
capacity.

Then stop using Cache and CPU memory.
It's the same chipsets, in most cases.

>I predict that magnetic disk technology will bbe with us for the foreseeable
>future.

No more than two or three mainframes will ever be sold.
Nobody will ever need more than 640K of memory.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!