Ed

I would have thought you would have understood the position from my earlier
post.

> IBM should IMO do a 360 and say USS means unformatted system services.

IBM should stay exactly where it is, veer not one degree off course, and stick
to the following - which I obviously have to post in full - again:

<quote>

unformatted system service (USS)

A communications function that translates a character-coded command, such
as a LOGON or LOGOFF command, into a field-formatted command for
processing by formatted system services. See also formatted system service.

USS
See unformatted system service.

</quote>

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/terminology/u.html#x2042481

> FWIW the UNIX people are usurping the acronym and are playing the
elephant in the room here.

Indeed. This is where Dave Gibney's devotional exclamations should be
appended!

Chris Mason

On Mon, 2 May 2011 15:36:23 -0700, Ed Gould <ps2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ed:
> Becareful you will start up another war.
>I think it is a problem that IBM can decide and clarify quite nicely. IBM
>should
IMO do a 360 and say USS means unformatted system services. My rather
poor memory says unformatted was in use before Unix came into general use.