Scott

> ... the SNA 3270 days to be exact.

Well, not quite as exact as it might be. SNA devices supporting human end
users - as opposed to SNA devices supporting programs - needed some
technique for composing the three data elements needed for the SSCP
(VTAM) to initiate a session. This applies to all such devices not just 3270
display devices. Some of us still recall a typewriter device, the 3767. Racking
my brains for other such devices, I managed to conjure up the fascinating
3770 range and, of course, the 3270 emulation on the 3790 - and was there
something similar on some of the (other) "industry" systems of the late 1970's?
But that's all 3270 again, so doesn't count!

In addition to initiating the session, there is also the possibility to
terminate
the session, typically for the case where the application is misbehaving.

> So, IBM makes a oops, ...

There is *no* IBM "oops", there are only IBMers who make "oops" - in
unofficial papers and presentations and possibly in pseudo-products such as
the so-called "Health-Checker".

If you go to

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/zshelves12.html

and enter the dread three characters in the z/OS UNIX bookshelf "Search
text" box, you will find very few "hits". Each of the ones present is an
"oops".
Exclusively in the Planning manual, they are down to the "graduate student"
on some sort of "work experience" or whoever on whatever who, not knowing
how to go about matters formally, got a lot of his or her labels wrong. The
very few others are simple mindless "oops".

Have you marvelled at how few there are? If the use was correct, the
manuals would be suffused with the initials!

I posted the official position twice yesterday, once in this thread but I
guessed you missed it. If there are still some who imagine we are dealing with
an official "oops" here, it's worth posting yet again:

<quote>

> I still think that IBM should have chosen another acronym for Unix than USS.
I believe VTAM USS table is still valid, and still used, so it is  confusing to
me
that IBM should use the same acronym for something that is still in use.

We did not chose "USS" as an acronym for z/OS UNIX System Services. It's
not on the list of names people are supposed to use, and nobody in IBM
should use this abbreviation to mean z/OS UNIX System Services. (Anyone
from IBM who thinks differently should contact me so I can tell them why
they're wrong.)

In reality, herding cats is easier than making absolutely sure that everyone
uses the correct full and short names all the time in all contexts, formal and
informal, but we keep trying.

</quote>

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0907&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=198809

Chris Mason

On Mon, 2 May 2011 20:00:06 -0700, Scott Ford
<scott_j_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>USS was WAY before Unix.....the SNA 3270 days to be exact. So, IBM
>Ed,

USS was WAY before Unix.....the SNA 3270 days to be exact. So, IBM makes
a oops,
wouldnt be the first time...

Scott J Ford